The Capture: The Television Series That Has Made Me Suspicious of Everything

I have just finished Season 1 of The Capture, and I have a problem.

I no longer trust television.

I no longer trust CCTV.

I no longer trust video evidence.

And, frankly, I'm beginning to look suspiciously at my own reflection in the bathroom mirror.



This is what happens when you watch six episodes of a British thriller that takes the innocent little idea of "seeing is believing" and drives a tank through it.

I started watching The Capture because I wanted a good thriller. Something with a bit of action, a few twists and preferably without twelve episodes of people staring meaningfully out of windows before anything actually happens.

And bloody hell, did I get it.

The story revolves around CCTV footage, surveillance, manipulation and something that becomes increasingly terrifying: the possibility that what you're seeing isn't necessarily what actually happened.

And this is where the series gets under your skin.

Because normally, when you watch a crime thriller, the camera is your friend. You see the murder. You see the suspect. You see the evidence.

You trust the camera.

The Capture looks at that relationship and basically says:

"Are you sure about that?"

And suddenly I'm sitting on the sofa wondering whether the television is lying to me.

Which is not particularly relaxing.

What makes Season 1 so bloody effective is that it doesn't rely entirely on explosions, car chases and people being shot every seven minutes. It creates something much more uncomfortable.

Doubt.

You think you've figured something out.

Then you discover you haven't.

You think you've seen the truth.

Then you realise you've only seen a version of it.

And just when you've finally decided who you trust, the programme cheerfully kicks the chair away from underneath you.

The technology is what really got to me.

Because this isn't some futuristic story involving aliens, teleportation and a bloke from Mars.

It's based around technology that feels frighteningly close to the world we already live in.

We have cameras everywhere.

We have facial recognition.

We have artificial intelligence.

We have digitally manipulated images and videos.

We have algorithms deciding what information reaches us.

And now we have technology capable of creating things that look remarkably real.

So while I was watching The Capture, I kept thinking:

"Hang on a minute... this isn't actually that far-fetched."

And that's the bit I didn't particularly enjoy.

Not because the series isn't brilliant.

It is.

But because it made me think about the world outside my television.

We have reached a strange point where seeing something isn't necessarily proof of anything.

Years ago, if someone showed you a photograph, you generally assumed the photograph represented something that had happened.

Now?

You might need a detective, a forensic expert and possibly a small army of computer scientists.

And I haven't even got around to explaining why my phone thinks I want to buy something I mentioned once while talking to my wife.

The acting is excellent, the pacing is much better than some of the slower British crime dramas I've watched recently, and the twists keep coming without feeling like they're simply being thrown at you for the sake of it.

Most importantly, I actually cared about what happened.

I wasn't sitting there thinking, "How many episodes have I got left?"

I was thinking:

"Right. One more."

Then suddenly it's midnight.

Then you've watched another episode.

Then you realise you have work in the morning.

Then you blame the television.

This is also why I think The Capture is considerably more frightening than a conventional horror series.

A horror film can scare you with a monster.

You can turn the lights on.

Problem solved.

The Capture gives you something much harder to switch off.

The possibility that technology can manipulate reality itself.

And now, after finishing Season 1, I'm looking at CCTV cameras slightly differently.

I'm looking at screens slightly differently.

I'm even wondering whether that bloke on the news really said what I think he said.

Perhaps he did.

Perhaps he didn't.

Perhaps I'm becoming paranoid.

Or perhaps I've simply watched too much The Capture.

Either way, Season 1 was bloody brilliant.

It was clever, tense, unpredictable and, most annoyingly of all, thought-provoking.

I started watching because I wanted entertainment.

I finished it wondering what the hell we're doing with technology.

That's a pretty good recommendation for a television series.

And now apparently there's a Season 2...

and Season 3.

Excellent.

Because clearly I haven't suffered enough.

Rating: 9/10

Not because it made me feel comfortable.

Quite the opposite.

It made me question whether anything I see on a screen can be trusted.

And in 2026, that might be the most frightening thing a television programme can make you think about.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hiccups Pub Paceville- still the best burger you could ever have had...but luckily you still can have...

Remembering Steve Jobs- a tribute in pictures.