Guilt: A Scottish Masterclass in Making Bad Decisions
I didn’t binge-watch Guilt.
That would imply some sort of lack of self-control.
What actually happened is that I watched one episode, thought, “That was rather good,” and then somehow found myself watching another. And another. And before long I was sufficiently invested in the lives of a collection of deeply questionable people who appear to have made bad decisions their full-time profession.
Guilt is a Scottish black comedy, although calling it simply a “black comedy” feels a bit inadequate. It is dark, funny, uncomfortable, twisted and, at times, completely bloody bonkers.
And I mean that as a compliment.
The basic premise involves two brothers whose lives take a spectacular turn for the worse after a rather unfortunate incident. From there, things begin to unravel in that uniquely British fashion where nobody simply admits they've made a mistake.
No.
They lie.
Then they lie about the lie.
Then they involve somebody else.
Then that person has to lie.
And suddenly you have a situation that could have been solved in approximately three minutes by somebody saying, “Right, I’ve made a terrible mistake.”
Of course, nobody does.
And that's where Guilt becomes so addictive.
The characters aren't your typical television heroes. There are no shining examples of humanity here. Everyone seems to have a secret, an agenda, a questionable moral compass, or all three.
You don't necessarily like them.
But you absolutely want to know what they're going to do next.
And that's the clever bit.
The series constantly walks the line between drama and comedy without falling completely into either camp. One minute you're watching something genuinely tense, and the next you're laughing at the sheer stupidity of the situation.
It has that wonderfully uncomfortable British humour where you find yourself laughing while simultaneously thinking:
“I really shouldn't be enjoying this.”
But you are.
The Scottish setting also gives the series its own character. There is something particularly effective about combining bleak Scottish streets, miserable weather, and morally bankrupt people. It’s almost as though the clouds themselves have given up.
And just when you think you've worked out where the story is going, Guilt throws another spanner into the machinery.
Then another.
Then, for good measure, probably a body.
What I particularly enjoyed is that the series doesn't treat the audience like idiots. It trusts you to follow the story, work things out, and appreciate the humour without having everything explained every five minutes.
It's dark comedy with a brain.
And thankfully, it doesn't spend half its running time trying to tell you how clever it is.
So, is it worth watching?
Yes.
If you like your comedy dark, your characters morally dubious and your plots slightly unhinged, Guilt is well worth your time.
I wouldn't call it relaxing television.
You don't put Guilt on after a stressful day and think, “Ah, this will calm me down.”
That would be like putting a chainsaw next to your pillow because you find the noise soothing.
But it is addictive.
It's funny, clever, unpredictable, and gloriously Scottish.
And although I didn't binge-watch it, I did find myself repeatedly saying:
“Just one more episode.”
Which, as we all know, is television's biggest lie.
Rating: 8.5/10
Dark, funny, twisted, and completely mad.
Basically, exactly how television should be.
Comments