The Reverse Midlife Crisis Nobody Talks About
I Think I'm Having a Reverse Midlife Crisis
People joke about the midlife crisis.
Apparently, at some point you're supposed to wake up, buy a bright red sports car you can't get out of without making noises like an old Labrador, start wearing clothes designed for someone half your age, and convince yourself that "finding yourself" involves spending €18 on artisan coffee while posting inspirational quotes on Instagram.
I went in the opposite direction.
I think I'm having a reverse midlife crisis.
And strangely enough... I'm happier than I've ever been.
Time Has a Funny Way of Humbling You
When you're twenty, time feels like a warehouse full of spare tyres.
You burn through it without thinking because there's always another one.
Then one day you realise you've somehow become the bloke who says things like, "Twenty years ago..." and it wasn't referring to the 1980s.
That hits differently.
It's not vanity that gets you.
It's not wrinkles.
It's not grey hair.
It's the terrifying realisation that there are only so many summers left, only so many Christmases with your parents, only so many dinners with old friends before life quietly starts crossing names off the guest list.
Nobody prepares you for that.
My Priorities Have Changed
If you'd met me years ago, I'd probably have admired the usual things.
Fast cars.
Big engines.
Expensive gadgets.
The latest toy.
The biggest TV.
The next holiday.
The next thing.
Now?
Give me peace.
Honestly, peace has become the greatest luxury money can't buy.
I don't have the patience for drama anymore.
If someone brings chaos into my life, they don't get a second invitation.
Life does a perfectly good job of creating enough problems without volunteers adding extra ones.
I've Started Collecting Moments Instead of Stuff
The funny thing is, the older I get, the less impressed I am by things.
A £5,000 watch still tells the same time as the cheap one.
A luxury SUV still gets stuck in Maltese traffic.
And the bloke showing off his designer trainers is still waiting in line behind someone buying lottery tickets and cigarettes.
Status is an expensive hobby.
Freedom is much cheaper.
I'd rather have money in investments than wrapped around my wrist.
I'd rather own my time than own another gadget.
That's not because I've become boring.
It's because I've finally worked out the difference between looking successful and actually feeling successful.
They're not remotely the same thing.
Health Isn't About Looking Good Anymore
There was a time when exercise was about looking better.
Now it's much simpler.
I want to be able to climb stairs without sounding like an asthmatic accordion.
I want to travel.
Ride motorcycles.
Carry shopping.
Play with future grandchildren one day.
I'd rather be the seventy-year-old annoying everyone because I'm still active than the fifty-year-old who treats walking to the fridge like an expedition to Everest.
That's why I eat real food.
That's why I train.
That's why I sleep properly.
Not because I'm chasing youth.
Because I'm investing in independence.
Home Has Become My Favourite Destination
If you'd told twenty-year-old me that I'd actually look forward to a quiet evening at home, I'd have laughed.
Now?
A good meal.
My wife.
A decent film.
Maybe a glass of wine or a shot of whisky
No phone constantly buzzing.
No pointless noise.
Perfect.
Apparently excitement isn't measured in decibels after all.
Who knew?
The Reverse Midlife Crisis
Most people facing a midlife crisis try to impress the person they used to be.
I'm trying to impress the person I hope to become.
There's a massive difference.
The younger version of me wanted excitement.
The older version wants purpose.
The younger version wanted applause.
The older version values respect.
The younger version chased more.
The older version has discovered that less... but better... wins every single time.
Three Things I've Learned
1. Remove More Than You Add
We spend our lives collecting.
More possessions.
More commitments.
More stress.
More opinions.
Maybe the secret isn't adding.
Maybe it's deleting.
Delete the people who drain you.
Delete the unnecessary spending.
Delete the endless scrolling.
Delete the obligation to have an opinion on absolutely everything.
Life gets surprisingly light when you stop carrying rubbish that was never yours.
2. Invest Instead of Consume
Every hour is either an investment or an expense.
Reading.
Learning.
Walking.
Building relationships.
Cooking.
Training.
Those pay dividends.
Scrolling Facebook arguments about politics?
Not so much.
Spoiler alert: nobody has ever changed their political opinion because a stranger typed in CAPITAL LETTERS.
3. Be Where Your Feet Are
We're obsessed with the next thing.
Next promotion.
Next holiday.
Next purchase.
Next Friday.
Meanwhile today quietly walks past without saying goodbye.
The greatest act of rebellion in modern life isn't buying a Ferrari.
It's putting your phone down and actually being present.
So...
I don't want to be twenty-five again.
I honestly wouldn't.
I know more.
I worry less.
I laugh more.
I appreciate simple things.
I've learned that happiness rarely arrives wrapped in expensive packaging.
Most of the time it turns up wearing slippers.
Maybe that's what a reverse midlife crisis really is.
Not desperately trying to relive your youth...
...but finally becoming the person your younger self was far too impatient to understand.
And if that's a crisis...
I'll happily have it.
Comments