The Worst Day of My Life Became the Best
My name is Michele. I'm 39 years old.
It was a rainy Tuesday in November, six years ago. At 3:30 in the afternoon, I was called into the owner's office. I worked as a sales representative for a hotel supplies company. They didn't even offer me a coffee.
My boss gave me the usual slimy speech, full of corporate buzzwords like "downsizing", "necessary cuts", and "difficult decision". In plain English, it meant, "You're fired, effective immediately. You have half an hour to clear your desk."
By exactly 4:00 p.m., I was standing on the pavement in the pouring rain, holding a cardboard box that was slowly falling apart. Inside it were my Star Wars mug, two diaries, and a stapler. I was 33 years old, had just taken out a mortgage, and had no idea what I was going to do next.
I couldn't bring myself to go home. I felt like a complete failure.
So I walked into the first open place, a small neighbourhood bar. One of those depressing places with flickering neon lights, elderly men quietly swearing over a game of cards, and the lingering smell of bleach mixed with burnt coffee.
I sat at the bar, placed my soggy cardboard box on the stool beside me, and said to the bartender, "A pint of beer... and a shot of bitter liqueur. Together."
The bartender glanced at the clock. It was 4:15 on a Tuesday afternoon. But he understood immediately. He nodded and poured my beer.
As I stared into space, wondering how on earth I was going to pay my next mortgage instalment, I heard a voice to my right.
"I'll have the same," she said. "Except make mine a gin and tonic."
I turned around.
There was a woman about my age. She wore a beautiful camel-coloured coat, now soaked through from the rain. Her mascara had run slightly beneath her eyes, her hair was a mess, and she was gripping the handle of her laptop bag as though she wanted to strangle it. She was staring blankly at the wall, exactly the way I had been.
I looked at her, then at my soggy cardboard box, then back at her, and the most obvious question in the world slipped out.
"Rough day?"
She turned towards me, managed a bitter half-smile, and sighed.
"I've just told my boss exactly where he can go. I'd worked there for five years. He made me work twelve-hour shifts but only paid me for eight. Today he promoted his newly graduated nephew into my position. I grabbed my coat, told him he was a pathetic excuse for a human being, and walked out. Officially unemployed. You?"
I pointed to the soaked cardboard box beside me.
"They didn't even give me the satisfaction of telling them where to shove it. They fired me half an hour ago because of 'downsizing'. I'm officially unemployed too."
We looked at each other in silence for what felt like forever.
Two complete strangers. Four o'clock on a working Tuesday. Sitting in a forgotten neighbourhood bar, with our lives seemingly falling apart.
Then, as naturally as breathing, she raised her glass.
I raised mine.
We made a toast.
And we started talking.
We never stopped.
I told her about the mess my life had become. She told me about hers. We laughed about our former employers. We even worked out how long we could survive eating nothing but tuna pasta before ending up homeless.
We stayed in that little bar until eight that evening.
Then I suggested we buy a takeaway pizza and eat it in my car, because neither of us could really afford a restaurant.
We spent the evening eating cold pizza on the dashboard of my little Suzuki Alto; the windows fogged up, laughing like idiots because it was the only way to keep from being terrified of what tomorrow might bring.
Today, that woman with the smudged mascara and the rain-soaked coat is my wife, Giulia.
We've been through a lot together. We both found new jobs, got back on our feet, and built a life together.
Every November, we don't celebrate our wedding anniversary in an expensive restaurant.
Instead, we go back to a little neighbourhood bar at four o'clock in the afternoon and order a pint of beer and a gin and tonic.
Because if I hadn't lost everything that Tuesday... if I hadn't been fired... if I hadn't walked into that bar feeling utterly defeated... I would never have met the person who saved my life.
Sometimes, life's darkest misfortune is simply happiness introducing itself in disguise.
Comments