Racing in Glue: Navigating Life with ADHD's Gifts and Challenges

Living with ADHD is like driving a Formula 1 car with BMX bike brakes. The speed, the insights, the brilliance—it's all there, but controlling it, harnessing it, and making it work within the constraints of everyday life is a constant challenge. Here's a glimpse into my world, shaped by the exhilarating highs and frustrating lows of ADHD.


One of the most striking aspects of my experience is the contrast between my intellectual capabilities and my practical execution. I am often brighter than almost everyone around me, learning new things incredibly fast when I am engaged. I can see deeply into problems, developing an abstract understanding of a new area much faster than others. I'm very good at anticipating problems and making a plan, yet I struggle terribly with executing those plans.

Distraction is a constant companion, leading me to start and abandon projects frequently. I am an information junkie, loving to learn new things, yet this enthusiasm often leads me astray. I can be incredibly verbal and charming, witty and funny, but also viciously self-critical and sometimes critical of others. I hate to wait, procrastinate, and finish people's sentences for them. I only care about getting the information I need; extraneous details frustrate me.

My impatience and irritation over delays are often mistaken for judgment about others' behavior or output, leading people to think I'm a jerk. In high school, I was a C student and didn’t graduate from college, often spending more time helping others with their homework than doing my own. I detested attending lectures because the information came too slowly, preferring to learn on my own time and in my own way.

My health habits are similarly erratic. For years, I might neglect my health entirely, only to flip-flop to hyper-focused periods where I eat carefully, exercise every day, and lose significant weight, only to fall back into old habits. My self-control around food is all or nothing—I can’t eat just one cookie, so the only way to eat better is to not have cookies around at all.

I can be the smartest and dumbest person in the room, the hardest-working lazy person, the most introverted extrovert, and the most distracted person who can tear a concept apart into a million tiny details and reassemble it into total clarity in seconds, all at the same time. What is totally obvious to me can be impenetrable to others, and what is obvious to them is often confusing to me. People often tell me to think outside the box, but I'm so far outside it that I can't even see its boundaries, and I hate being limited to a box anyway.

Interacting with others who don’t have ADHD is one of the hardest parts of my condition. People without ADHD simply cannot relate to our way of seeing the world and often write us off, unable to see the merits of what we find obvious. This disconnect has led to depression, anxiety, and total self-doubt for vast periods of my life. The number of times I’ve opened my mouth only to see others’ eyes roll in dismissal even before I finish speaking is disheartening.

The depression and anxiety form a grey blanket over my thoughts, slowing me down and making me feel like a loser, creating a self-perpetuating cycle of noise in my head. This stress is only compounded by my tendency to vocalize my thought process before it has fully formed, leading others to see me as "half-baked" or off-target. I am often written off as either stupid or irrelevant, regardless of the merit of my ideas.

ADHD also creates bottlenecks in my thought process, making it difficult to follow complex instructions without asking for clarification multiple times, reinforcing the idea that I don’t have a clue. Simple tasks become overwhelming as my mind races through a myriad of considerations, causing hesitation and self-doubt.

Despite these challenges, ADHD can also be a valuable gift. When motivated, I can blow the doors off any project with intense focus and dedication, working faster and more efficiently than anyone else. However, this hyperfocus can only be triggered by stress or a deep interest in the task at hand. Housework, for instance, is the bane of my life, as the more I stress about it, the harder it becomes to start.

This difficulty in self-motivation is tied to reduced dopamine production in the ADHD brain. Dopamine is the chemical reward for mental effort, and my brain has a naturally lower level. When motivated, my dopamine levels increase, but when unmotivated, pushing myself harder only reduces dopamine further, making tasks even more difficult.

Fitting in with non-ADHD people is a constant struggle. I often feel like I don't belong, and I have a strong preference for working independently, like a one-man band. I thrive on stress and urgent tasks, and I can solve problems that baffle others, but I need clear instructions, deadlines, and feedback. Micromanagement and unclear instructions are counterproductive, and I need the freedom to ask questions and clarify tasks in a way that makes sense to me.

As a kid, it took me much longer to learn simple tasks like tying my shoelaces. But now, I speak four languages, have been tested at a genius-level IQ, and have held high-responsibility jobs, all while barely graduating high school and being fired from multiple jobs for not fitting in. The contradictions of ADHD are numerous, but in the end, I see it as a gift. The only problems I face with it are when others see my unusual ways as a problem.

Living with ADHD is a constant balancing act between brilliance and chaos, focus and distraction, and the need to fit in while staying true to my unique perspective. It’s a challenging journey, but one that I continue to navigate with determination and resilience.

#ADHD #LivingWithADHD #ADHDAwareness #MentalHealth #Neurodiversity #ADHDLife #FocusAndDistraction #ADHDChallenges #MindMatters #ADHDDaily #ADHDCommunity

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ONLY IN Malta- Sponsering MasterChef while trying to win it

Hiccups Pub Paceville- still the best burger you could ever have had...but luckily you still can have...